Home
« Home | Next: The Gospel in "3-D" »
| Next: Make Good Wine: “Take” the Water and the Blood »
| Next: The Work of the Father: “Here Am I, Send Me” »
| Next: “Receive”? “Believe”? Coming to the Light »
| Next: Promise Only? Jesus, the One-and-Only, is the Promise »
| Next: The Gospel in the Garden »
| Next: Why a 3-D Gospel Begins with a “Snake-on-a-Stick” »
| Next: John 3:16: A 3-D Gospel for a Promised 3-D Redemption »
| Next: A Series by Dr. Jim Reitman »
| Next: Biblical Unity: Separated at Birth »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Tuesday, November 24, 2009

So did your “name” change?

In the introduction to his series of articles Dr. Reitman wrote,

“My view of three-dimensional salvation is a fundamentally dispensational approach (theologically speaking); however, I do not find this is at all inimical to other ways of thinking about the issue. What I do see is that none of us will emerge from this “wrestling match” (if we enter it with integrity) without having “our names changed.” What I mean by this is that our traditions and even our staunchest theological convictions will be laid out on the table for reframing and, if need be, total overhaul. Of one thing we can be sure: Jesus will not change, nor will God’s offer of life through Him.”

Now if you’re like me then you’re probably unwilling (or as in my case you recognize you’re unable) to offer a full critique on this series but I think we can all easily evaluate how well, or how little, we relate with this perspective. You may even have already determined that certain aspects of your own perspective need more evaluation or possibly you've concluded that certain aspects proposed in this series need further scrutiny. Hopefully we can all be more like Missy and “have no problems whatsoever looking stupid. As a rock.“ Then we too “can only go up from there.”

I admit that I already hold a very similar perspective on the Gospel and so the main things that I’ve struggled with pertain mostly to circumstance and semantics. With respect to circumstance, I regret that the Gospel in “3-D” is being offered against the backdrop of a “food fight”. Concerning semantics I literally hate the fact that without full explanation both scriptural and cultural terms remain as vague as they are critical. I’m still hoping for more in-depth discussion of each article but I’m looking forward to the future as well.

Let’s call this my “wish list”. It’s been clearly demonstrated that the Gospel in “3-D” is no via media or “middle way“ with respect to the “food fight” but I have to confess that I do see it serving as the point of convergence for a number of competing movements (more on that later). I also haven’t been shy in declaring my wish to see the doctrine of election expounded on here and I hope to see Dr. Reitman, Bobby Grow and others cooperate in more fully framing the Gospel in “3-D” theologically. ;-) In addition I’m looking forward to reading Dr. Tim Nichols’ continued thoughts on ecclesiology.

So now how about you? Did your “name” change?

(Please continue to remember Bro. Bobby and his family in your prayers.)

17 Comments:

Blogger agent4him said...

You are a gracious host, KC. Let me add my hearty welcome to any of you who, like Missy, may have some misgivings about certain "commitments" on my part or questions about the potential implications of viewing John 3:16 within a narrative framework. The test of whether the Spirit is involved in any given activity of the people of God is whether there is true "freedom" (2 Cor 3:17), and I yearn to see more of that among advocates of Free Grace.

It is always interesting to see what happens when I approach the text asking what God was "thinking" as he inspired the human author to write what he did. In this case, I came out with a greater love for and appreciation of Jesus, my Savior. It's hard to put into words, but God's grace seems even more free, and I want even more to embrace people who still seem (at least to me)...well...stuck. I did not know Zane Hodges personally but I can imagine this was the way he must have felt for most of his life and ministry.

I can't think of a better tribute to Zane's legacy than to move ahead in the natural directions that his work has "pointed" me for over 25 years; I only hope this "narrative exploration" of the implications of John 3:16 will honor that legacy and perhaps also inspire others to enter into the adventure on the firm theological foundation of Free Grace.

11/24/2009 07:09:00 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

...feeling a little pressure to speed up the digestion process. :) I promise my silence is full of thoughts and prayers.

11/24/2009 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Pia said...

happy thanksgiving, papu!!!

love ya! (((HUGS)))

11/25/2009 09:20:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Thank you sweet Pia! Happy Thanksgiving to you too! ;-)

11/26/2009 04:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Essay said...

Thank you for sharing, I like it worth reading.

12/23/2009 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Trust you had a great Christmas. May 2010 be your best year ever with lots of blessings from God.

12/28/2009 04:12:00 AM  
Blogger Pia said...

a blessed new year to you and mamu! love you, papu!

1/06/2010 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger DUANE WATTS said...

HELLO! HELLO! Hello hello
hello


ECHO! ECHO! Echo echo

hello?

1/14/2010 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger agent4him said...

Yeah, man, I hear ya'. The silence has been deafening all over the Free Grace world.

How's Sunday School been going lately, Bro?

Been making any "good wine"?

1/14/2010 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Hello KC! Wow, it's been a long time since I journeyed over to read your blog, or anyone else's for that matter. I had been in a blog funk for the latter part of 2009 but am trying to make a commitment to blogging again more regularly.

I hope you had a great Christmas and New Years with your family. Continued blessings to you.

1/15/2010 01:41:00 PM  
Blogger DUANE WATTS said...

Hi KC, Hi Jim!

Sunday School?

Tomorrow's my first day in a month. Work schedule required Sunday clear through the Christmas season. Blogging is about it.
I spend alot of time at Bobby's and radiating out from there. I'm reading Torrance's INCARNATON which is a good feed. I'm a little slow at it, but it is penetrating mi cabeza y corazon.
I don't have a problem with the Hypostatic Union or the Homoousion, which sounds startlingly like a cow with bovine indigestion. But the anhypostasis and enhypostasis, I need to do a little more weight lifting to get in shape for.
All in all, I think important stuff, I'm just not sure what the Lord intends to DO with it. It's
important to know the Lord better through sound Christology. Is this having a here-to-fore unseen impact on my life for Him? I hope so, and I pray so.
Bobby has an open request up for people to give him something to pray for others. I think I have something to tell ask him.

Thanks for asking!

BTW, I think there is alot of narrative understanding in Torrance. The way he goes back and developes the incarnation as fulfillment of the old testament: Not just particular o.t. scripture, but the OLD TESTAMENT is quite convincing.
But that is the same conclusion you came to eh Jim?

Duane

1/16/2010 08:26:00 PM  
Blogger agent4him said...

Right on, Brutha'...OT rocks.

(...but yer terminal-ology gave me a brain cramp.)

Jim

1/16/2010 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger DUANE WATTS said...

Hale Brothers!

Roll call! Whatcha workin' on?

I'm missing you all. Bouncing between my own blog, which is quiet since the initial blip,
Bobby's and Compassion Int'l.
I hope all goes well for you.

Your Brother

3/05/2010 08:12:00 PM  
Blogger agent4him said...

SUH! Present, SUH!

Hi Duane,

I'll be hitting the GES conference in April.

Teaching hermeneutics in the fall at Denver Seminary (steppin' up from TA).

How 'bout you, Bro?

Jim

3/05/2010 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger DUANE WATTS said...

Hi KC and Jim!

I've been enjoying the best winter here in E. PA since we've lived here. Now it's almost all melted, and since we had a good winter, spring should come on strong. Normally I'm dyin' for spring by now 'cause winter is usually mostly brown and cold. White is much easier on my seasonal affectations.
Speaking of Affectations, as you know, I'm taking to this Affective Theology model quite well. It just has to be nested somewhere between the universalists and the tulip. That's easy for me: God loves His entire creation, and particularly His image bearing humans enough to want to save every one of us. He provided Himself the sacrifice, drew all men to Himself, and we can still reject Him if we will. If I don't have the theology nailed down to avoid being labelled "half pelican" or "arminian" so be it. "Sticks and stones...". I'll probably never get that job as dean of Westminster...rats!
The benefits are that the affective model is effectively, finally helping me to shake off a lifetime of christian legalism.
I'm imagining at least, (I hope it's not just my imagination) that this is impacting my family, as I'm less tense than I have been, and encouraging same for the members of my family. If God is motivated primarily by what (who)He loves, and what is good for them, then that should be our motivation as well. We can ONLY go to Him for affective modification. Also, if God is motivated by genuine love for us, why should we worry or fear?
Now I'm talking like I've arrived.
Ha! I worry like a deer on the expressway, but now I have a clear alternative, which is helping.
I'm active on the social network site for Compassion Int'l sponsors. Myself, I am still waiting to sponsor, since they don't have new children registered from Haiti, since the earthquake. The Lord led me to Compassion for Haiti, so unless He specifies otherwise, I won't be deterred to another venue, or another country. Here we nest in our wee cottage, on a wee acre, the five of us plus two dogs, (me the only male), and finally realize how blessed we are, and we want to add one more person into that umbrella of blessing.
I'm going to set up a little audio blog at the coffeehouse using youtube videos. I'd like to tell the story of how the Lord has used Christian music on the charts to move me to pray for what He eventually led me into. Of course, you all are part of the story, just not sure how to incorporate that.
I do wax on and on...helps me organize not just my thoughts, but my purposes as well. Then I have to ask if I'm babbling as regards subjecting you all to this.
Thanks for indulging me.

Your Brother

3/12/2010 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger DUANE WATTS said...

And Jim,
I'm glad you're doing the GES conference. They are an important part of the body of Christ. And I am always interested to know what they are thinking. (whether they be the head, or the heart or heal or some other part? But all parts are necessary).
And congratulations on the teaching position. May the Lord bless you with wisdom, clarity and His love.

Duane

3/12/2010 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger agent4him said...

Thanks Duane! I do appreciate the journey you've been on, and your reflections are very encouraging.

(And if your a half-pelican, then so am I, Bro.)

:-)

3/12/2010 06:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment