Home
« Home | Next: We be Anomolies »
| Next: Okay gang, set back and get comfortable... »
| Next: Amazing »
| Next: The final numbers were in! »
| Next: For Discussion »
| Next: A Well Balanced Perspective »
| Next: The News from India »
| Next: Awards »
| Next: Would you think it wise? »
| Next: Behind Enemy Lines? »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Monday, November 05, 2007

The “Point” of Mystery

We all have it. We all claim it. Whenever, within our own theology, we would reach the point where our reasoning leads to an obvious paradox we firmly plant ourselves and confidently proclaim, “It’s a great mystery!” Perhaps the real mystery is that we would refuse to admit the scriptural truth that we can only see darkly as through a glass. Can you really look back over your life and say that your position or your understanding has never been changed or corrected?

Given the fact that the Grace of God surpasses all understanding I can’t help but believe we must always reach a point of mystery in our theology. I also believe that it’s at that point we should be willing to accept that the reason for the mystery is not because our understanding is full, but because we lack a full understanding. Maybe then the stance that we take in our own position won’t be quite as staunch as it has been in the past.

We can stand confidently and firmly in Jesus Christ and in all He has said. I think that is certainty enough to carry us through this life and into the life to come. The great mystery in this is no paradox but rather a question. What great love is this that God would give His own Son?

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well spoken, Kc. My backpack full of theology has gotten an awful lot lighter since I stopped having (or needing) all the answers.

The great commandments and the freedom to work them out should be plenty to keep us busy for a lifetime.

11/05/2007 07:09:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Thanks very kindly my brother.

This is another one of those "preachin to myself" articles I feel urged to write from time to time.

11/05/2007 07:55:00 AM  
Blogger Rose~ said...

KC,
Good words! I am currently under a teacher in my adult Sunday School who is teaching on the "Doctrines of Grace." He started the series by putting forth this idea of great "contradictions" in Scripture. Now he keeps falling on that when things are brought up that contradict his premises.

I think nit would be better if we would all back off and say that some things are a mystery to us. I am comfortable with the word "mystery" but not "contradictions."

11/05/2007 09:33:00 AM  
Blogger Rose~ said...

I can't get that award to show up in my sidebar - i don't know what I am doing wrong.

11/05/2007 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Rose I totally agree but you have to admit that a paradox goes much better with pride. (hehe)

11/05/2007 03:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reminds me of that famous scripture, "The just shall live by faith"... important enough that it shows up 4 times in the Bible.

11/05/2007 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger sofyst said...

You would not believe how much I accept this now more than I ever have. You have read my blog long enough to know how staunch and adament I use to be about a lot of things. Now, I find myself saying 'I don't know' a lot more than I ever would have been comfortable saying. I am more agnostic in a lot of areas, and more comfortable than I ever have been. I do believe that if I would seriously think as I use to, rather than being as lazy as I am now, and embrace my agnosticism completely, I would be a much more fierce force to reckon with. Behold the power of the sofyst that does not know! Be afraid, little ones, be afraid!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm in a good mood today. For some reason. Gloom and despair are NOT going to overcome me and forbid no longer this joyous spirit. I say that now, and it probably will happen soon...but I can dream can't I?

On a completely other side note, I love you my dearest friend.

11/06/2007 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Adam first let me say I’m so thankful your spirits are high. I love you too dear brother.

I have been blessed in all our arguments but honestly I am so happy for you that you’ve found more substance in fellowship than in seeking a perfect theology.

I agree with your suspicion concerning you being a fierce force given your present position. It’s much easier to concentrate on examining others when you’re free from trying to defend your own system.

I think the real challenge is to continue to help build up your brother’s faith while at the same time exposing the cracks and holes in his system. I think that takes a great deal of love for him and for God and can only be accomplished by His grace. I think humility is crucial as well, knowing we all have our weak points and flaws.

You’ve got me thinking about a lot of good things now. Thanks! ;-)

11/06/2007 04:59:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Jeff I hope you read my mind when I responed to your comment in it
:~@ This old age stuff is for the birds! ...Anywho...

Exactly! ;-)

11/06/2007 07:59:00 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

"Can you really look back over your life and say that your position or your understanding has never been changed or corrected?"

NO! dang it, whats even more vain is realizing this and STILL thinking what I "know" this minute is not going change either.

NOW thats a mystery "just so you'll know" MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just checking in KC, I love you bro.

11/08/2007 06:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as long as mystery does not lead to an out of control "anti-intellectualism" then I would agree there is "mystery" about Jesus (cf. I Tim 3:16). Of course discerning the threshold of what's mysterious and what's not often is the point of debate within the blogosphere it seems.

11/11/2007 06:07:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Bobby thanks for the wise admonition and for stopping by!

I do agree, we should love God with all our mind. My concern here is that we might elevate any theology to the same level of authority as Christ and His word in our heart and mind. It seems that thinking always leads to another division in the body.

11/13/2007 06:05:00 AM  
Blogger Michael Ogden said...

KC, we need another division like we need a hole in our Head.

11/13/2007 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Welcome Mike! I agree, no more holes please! ;-)

Kris, either the comment gremlins are at it again or I'm really slipping here. Hmmm...maybe both.

Thanks brother. I love you too. Hugs all around from us please. ;-)

11/13/2007 01:40:00 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

KC!!! How are you? Sorry it's been so long. Just sayin' hi. Miss all of our talks!

11/13/2007 06:36:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Kristi it's so good to hear from you! You're constantly on our minds and in our hearts and prayers. We love you little Sis!

11/14/2007 05:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted to drop by and say hi. missed ya, papu!

11/15/2007 01:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Pia you're never too far from us. ;-)

We love you so much.

11/17/2007 05:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment