Home
« Home | Next: Wonderful People »
| Next: BBS (be back soon!) »
| Next: Let us never forget... »
| Next: An Important Distinction »
| Next: What do you believe? »
| Next: Only One »
| Next: Thoughts on personal election »
| Next: For a wonderful friend »
| Next: The Basics of Fellowship »
| Next: Tagged! »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Thursday, September 14, 2006

Age has its virtue

Pastor Timothy says,

“After being given my first tag, I thought it would be neat to go and write my own tag and the following is what I came up with because there is a man in my congregation that I joke with a lot about 1980s music... making fun of the "wake-me-up-before-you-go-go" groups like Wham and the Go Gos! In view of that, here is my tag on 1980s music.”

He closes with this,
“First, I tag KC because I think he is old enough to play and might even be able to play the upcoming "Tag -- 1960s songs." :0”
Being fully qualified to do so, I now then offer the wisdom of my age here in Pastor Timothy’s

Tag -- 80's Songs

1. One 1980s song that has changed your life: “Karma Chameleon” by Culture Club. Boy George single handedly made me confront my irrational hatred for homosexuals and I learned to isolate my hatred for that sin. I hate to admit how difficult that was for me. I suppose it’s almost like a republican having to learn to love democrats (grin).
2. One 1980s song that you can sing all the lyrics: ”Southern Cross” by Crosby, Stills and Nash
3. One 1980s band you would want on a desert island with you: ”How do I get you alone” by Heart (hehe)
4. One 1980s band that you are embarrased you listened to: See number 1!
5. One 1980s band that made you cry [or feel really sad]: ”Do you really want to hurt me” by Culture Club
6. One 1980s band that you wanted to play with: ”Africa” by Toto
7. One 1980s band that you wish had never formed: ”Ill Tumble 4 Ya” by Culture Club
8. One 1980s band you still listen to: although technically they’re a 90’s group, Pearl Jam started in the 80’s. ;-)
9. One 1980s band you want your children to listen to: “Enter in” by Petra
10. Now tag five people: It’s really difficult to find old people like me so if you’re brave enough to admit it then I tag you! ;-)

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Well done.

A lot of 1980s music is good.

9/14/2006 08:04:00 AM  
Blogger Rose~ said...

I have Culture Club in my head now along with all the MTV images of Boy George! Aaaaaah!

9/14/2006 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Thanks Matthew. It seems that with music, as is the case with many things, we find what we're looking for. ;-)

I'm so sorry Rose! (hehe)

9/14/2006 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Timothy said...

KC,
I relunctantly admit that I had a Culture Club "tape" back then... I don't think I listened to them much because I was too wierded out by Boy George. Why couldn't he have called himself Girl George... then we could have called him GG for short.

He is from the category of things that make you go: brurhahluueuuu!

And no, I don't want to go into the ramifications of why he give me the creeps... sometimes, creepy people are just creepy. That's what makes them creepy and until Jesus changes his creepy heart, he will always be creepy!

9/14/2006 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Pastor, thanks for the tag and I'm sorry for being so slow to respond.

The first question really framed most of my answers. I had never considered Elton John as homosexual and so when confronted with my disgust for Boy George and his popularity I had to face my prejudice. Homosexuallity is unnatural and I would be less than honest to say that even now I find it disgusting but I am compelled to love all people. My disgust for that particular sin is no longer attached to those who commit it and I now can see them, not only as people but quite often as the most gentle of all people.

I did enjoy alot of 80's music and would still if I heard it but my preference at present is adult alternative. I'm waiting for something better but I don't see any hint of that yet. ;-)

9/15/2006 06:51:00 AM  
Blogger jel said...

Hi Kc,
and yes, I'm old enough but was a dumb kid at time, and i would sing to of the song that you talked about, and had a thing for KISs but went back to my country roots!
the old stuff!

9/15/2006 07:42:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Welcome Jel!
I think shock value went a long way toward selling records in the 80’s. Most of my fav bands in 80’s were brought in from the 70’s (BTW I was a dumb kid in the [gulp]late 60's) but there were a few 80’s bands I really liked such as Kansas. I like to think I am open to enjoy all types of music but I was forced to listen to country as a child and developed a real dislike for most of it (but not for the people who like it ;-) That probably explains why I’ve settled on adult alternative for listening entertainment. I have also been a fan of "old time" Gospel music since 1977 but that music speaks to my heart. ;-)

9/16/2006 05:09:00 AM  
Blogger jel said...

hey KC, thanks for the visit and the comment,

about being a kid in the 80's I should have said I chidish in the 80's

your not that much older then me! :)

9/16/2006 08:34:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Jayne it's great to hear from you! I know you've had a great summer but selfishness has me looking forward seeing your thoughts around the blogsphere while the winter wind is howling. ;-)

9/20/2006 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger Bhedr said...

Part of my problem was whether it was Culture Club or Elton John, or Rod Stewart...the whole package was just attractive to me...Just Rock and Roll in general. It was seductive. A lot of bi's and gays in Rock and Roll that you wouldn't think. Its taken a long time to come out of that world.

9/20/2006 09:51:00 PM  
Blogger Bhedr said...

I have a former gay friend that used to work with the Christian Rock industry as well. He told me that I would be surprised who was gay there as well.

9/20/2006 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger Bhedr said...

BTW Just wanted to clarify. I am neither Bi nor Gay, but I was at one time sympathetic to the movement. Now I am trying to split the hair of Gods holiness and justice against prejudice. Some of that disgust over these abominable sins should remain in us as it is witness of the Holy Spirit. We do need to isolate what is prejudice, but we must retain what the worlds mould is trying to compress us as believers into and we must resist it. Pandoras box is open and we must take means to quarantine and shut it.

We must always remember that God is a jealous God and that his wrath burns against fallen man, yet in our state he pities and loves as no man could ever imagine. Who can know the mind of the Lord?

9/21/2006 07:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

"We must always remember that God is a jealous God and that his wrath burns against fallen man, yet in our state he pities and loves as no man could ever imagine. Who can know the mind of the Lord?"

Some things are just worth repeating. Thanks so much brother.

9/22/2006 07:49:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

Man, you're hitting close to home!

10/01/2006 07:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment