Home
« Home | Next: Saving Grace »
| Next: Pecheur Update »
| Next: My complete soteriology »
| Next: The Aftermath »
| Next: What am I doing here? »
| Next: A personal note »
| Next: Another Voice »
| Next: Three more I couldn't resist »
| Next: We'll be fine »
| Next: Emerging Investigation »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A few things have come up.....

If you’ve read the comments from my previous post on soteriology you know that Hugo is currently writing a series on salvation and inspired my offerings here. Hugo and I have agreed to split any and all profit from these series. If you would like to contribute then please offer your comments here and on Hugo's blog as we both profit greatly from sharing in your understanding.

In another comment that Jeff was kind enough to post twice, and after paying due homage to the blogger gods, he offered this observation:

“It has been espoused (specifically in more Charismatic circles) that "soteria" refers, not only to salvation of the spirit/soul of man, but also to his body.”

I did a little research and found that, while the Greek noun “Soteria” can be used to imply soundness in health, in the New Testament it is almost exclusively used to indicate a state of deliverance or having been delivered. I also found that the majority of scripture we use to understand salvation doesn’t use the word at all. You might like to read up on the Greek verb, “Didomi”. God has blessed me to have as blogger buddies some truly brilliant theologians (and really good guys) so now I’m going to pass this on and ask them for a better understanding.

Finally I commented that I expected to take a beating in the comments on this series. I love being wrong. I am truly grateful for the generosity and understanding of all who’ve replied concerning this most personal, sensitive, and most important part of our lives.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Kc said...

YVW and we're even! I sympathize with your situation you described in your current post but I have to dig in to stupidchurchpeople.com before I can comment. ;-)

8/04/2005 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Jeff I'm really glad you and Dorsey can help and support each other. I really believe that it's a good thing for us to question our faith. I find to often that I've made assumptions or become existential.

8/05/2005 02:18:00 AM  
Blogger sofyst said...

HEY! I wrote a post that I know you will be interested in. I wanted your response and your belief concerning it. Perhaps you can do kind of 'second' to my post. Or give your opinion or something.

8/06/2005 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Hugo said...

I second Jeff - thanks for the info! :-) Glad to see you haven't taken a beating - I'll hopefully post somemore tomorrow before I head off to bed.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

8/07/2005 01:29:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Adam, I’m interested in all your post but I admit when I read your comment I got the picture of the spider talking to the fly (grin). To say you are a hard act to follow is an understatement but I don’t even think a second post is warranted. Your post and comments seem to cover the topic very well. I am grateful for the heads up but I think you know I always read all your post, xanga too. ;-)

Hugo I was fascinated to find that out. I wish I were a Greek scholar but I’m so thankful for the little I can find. Everyone has been generous here and I really am grateful and BTW I check your site at least daily as well. ;-)

8/07/2005 02:53:00 PM  
Blogger sofyst said...

I am a hard act to follow? Spider talking to the fly? I would hope for your sake you are the spider...besides, email me sometime. I want to talk about this issue further. Or, as I have your email addy as well, I could bite first. BUT! You know me and my lack of motivation, I need someone to push before I will go...

8/07/2005 09:48:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Adam will do.

All others have to see this to know Adam was once adorable.

8/08/2005 09:56:00 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

KC,

Thanks for your thoughts! It is good to be among a community of believers. I saw a previous post on grace, and would love share some of what I have studied on the subject. The Greek word for grace is Charis, and a most interesting translation of the word is "the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life." When I begin to see grace like that, I can understand why it is difficult to see grace manifest in the earth. Is it possible that some are not as divinely influenced as they once thought? Anyway, please visit my blog at www.servantsofthekingdom.blogspot.com and leave your thoughts. I look forward to it!

8/08/2005 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger D.R. said...

Casey,

Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I am sorry it took me so long to respond, but I do appreciate greatly the encouragement. BTW, great blog. I will add it to my favorites and try to read more in the coming days.

8/09/2005 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Ron, thanks for the visit, comment and the info! I’ll return the visit shortly. ;-)

D.R., I really do appreciate your effort on “Christ and Culture”. I’m really looking forward to reading more from you soon. ;-)

8/09/2005 03:19:00 PM  
Blogger Pecheur said...

Maybe I should go to the beginning of this discussion and work my way up. think long and hard then comment where i feel my two cents makes a dollar. =)

8/12/2005 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Pecheur said...

OK, so I am back. I do not have any Greek tools available to do the spade work on this topic of didomi. I am glad you concurred with soteria. However, theologically soteria is the word used to describe "salvation". So I am leery of using didomi as the word for "salvation." BUT as I said I am useless in this discussion because I do not have material to work with.

8/22/2005 11:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment