Home
« Home | Next: Time out... »
| Next: In Reply... »
| Next: Faith and Understanding »
| Next: So I’m thinking… »
| Next: In reply… »
| Next: A few things… »
| Next: Church Discipline – Hypocrisy, Apostasy and the Ge... »
| Next: So I’m thinking… »
| Next: Church Discipline – One or two witnesses, those wh... »
| Next: A few things… »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Saturday, April 29, 2006

Zeal Without Knowledge

In the comments of my reply to Kitty I restated my great desire to see the Church turn away from the pattern of division and strive for unification in Christ. That desire is just as great in me as ever but those who were kind enough to reply to my thoughts made my ignorance evident. Every one of us concede that there are problems in our own assemblies and I was confident I could easily relate with others on these problems from my own experience. I must confess that is not the case and I ask forgiveness from each of you who I’ve offended with my accusation of giving up or quitting because of your decision to leave your assembly. I was wrong to have made such a broad judgment and I am truly sorry.

I have recently written on how I was confronted with the opinion that the Church is in total apostasy and I must confess the more I learn from my brethren here the more I understand and lean toward this position. It is becoming evident to me that very few gatherings are actually a gathering of the Church. Sadly it seems they are more an action of man-made institutions that draw power to them selves and drain the power from the body of Christ. I can say from my own experience that even in assemblies where these institutions are not allowed that the tendency of the flock is to advocate authority, and with it personal responsibility, then to lay all blame at the feet of His servants.

All of this is not to say that the Church is not present in these assemblies. She is there and represented well by those who struggle to serve their brethren and with an honest heart really do prefer them above their selves. The Church is present in those who strive to submit to Christ in all things and are condemned by the institutional hierarchy for refusing to give them His authority. The Church is even there in those who are confounded by the disparity and are being torn in both directions. May God grant us each the vision to see the body of Christ around us and our place within it.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Excellent post, Kc.

4/29/2006 07:12:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Thanks Matthew and thanks for your understanding and insight as well.

4/29/2006 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Nicole that is so excellent! I'm really happy and proud (in the southern sense) for you but of course I expected it. That was a work of genius! ;-)

4/29/2006 05:20:00 PM  
Blogger sofyst said...

I really am in awe that you would think the church is in total apostasy. I figured that would be an opinion of myself, or Dorsey or Zeke...you don't seem to be the one to cast Israel aside as easily.

4/29/2006 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Adam with respect to the Church I think I am a romantic realist. I can't ignore the evidence but I won't let go of the hope in His word. My present perspective on Church history coupled with the current divisions in the Church won’t allow me to discard the probability that the Church at large has rejected Christ as head.

4/30/2006 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

kc, I appreciate your thoughts very much. And I can certainly identify with you being a romantic realist with respect to the Church. You know I am now involved in both a mainstream church (where I serve as the Creative Arts Coordinator), and an emerging / emergent church (Living Room). I am well aware that the Church at large has problems (like you said, most has rejected Christ as head), but I am willing to keep on working on the issues (being a bridge and stand in the division hopefully?). I see there is a place for different expressions (whether it's emerging or mainstream). Hope this makes sense.

4/30/2006 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

when you say 'zeal without knowledge', what exactly are you referring to Kc?

4/30/2006 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Kitty, first to answer your question my zeal is to bring an end to the division between us and my lack of knowledge allowed me to judge and condemn my brothers who have chosen to leave their assembly. Your perception, or your desire to be a bridge is obvious to me and is parallel to my own hope and thinking. We take sides and defend "against" our brethren before we even hear them simply because it "sounds" wrong. Where postmodernism would reject meaning we must reinforce it "in spite of" the language used to present it by bridging the rules of language with the meaning of it.

4/30/2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We all come to these discussions from where we are. Our opinions, assumptions and perceptions are formed in the contexts of our experiences. I hope you don't think you need to apologize to me just because you haven't been exposed to the corruption to which I've been subject. God forbid. I sensed no condemnation from you. My response was meant to broaden the discussion, adding a dynamic that you couldn't just by virtue of our differing experiences.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how we perceive truth. But instead of hashing it out here, I'm overdue for a post at my site. Give me a day or so. hehe.

5/01/2006 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

That's what I'm talking about! Get that stuff in the foreground! ;-)

Thanks for the understanding and the kindness.

5/01/2006 09:09:00 AM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

I think our differences bring richness in our understanding of stuff.

5/02/2006 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Kitty, agreed. ;-)

5/03/2006 07:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment