Home
« Home | Next: What is sin? »
| Next: Are you Judgmental? »
| Next: Transparency »
| Next: Hi there! »
| Next: The Perfect Law of Love »
| Next: Fear and Trembling »
| Next: My Own Prison »
| Next: What I’ve learned »
| Next: We should all just quit! »
| Next: I really like this one »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bible Study


It’s hard for me to imagine sitting down to study the scripture without this book but slowly over time that’s exactly what has happened. Just saying this sounds horrible to me but the truth is I rarely open it at home anymore, not because I don’t study anymore, but because I’ve been completely spoiled by “e-Sword”.


For twenty-five years I had studied the KJV translation exclusively but around three years ago I decided to begin a comparative study of the NASB. I had just started using “e-Sword” in place of a concordance but continued to read the text from my old Bible because I found the Strong’s numbers embedded in the text of my KJV+ version distracting. I decided that since I was already at the computer I would begin my study using an online version of the NASB, “e-Sword” for a concordance and my old Bible for the KJV text. I thought that if I became comfortable with the NASB then I would purchase a copy to use instead of the online version.


It was also about this time I started having some discussions with several people who like the ESV translation. This left me much more dependant on the online versions and I had already found them a little slow for comparative purposes. I struggled along that way for a couple of years but gradually I became accustomed to the Strong’s numbers in “e-Sword” and stopped using my old Bible altogether. When that happened I decided to go ahead and purchase the NASB translation for “e-Sword” (It is one of the few that aren’t free to download). While I was at it I pulled down a couple of other translations I found interesting including the ESV. I also found the KJV without the Strong’s is available (free as well) though I wouldn’t use it now if I could. I’ve learned to love being able to “click” those little numbers and have the Strong’s definition pop right up!


I can’t even begin to tell you what a great difference having “e-Sword” has made in the quantity and quality of the material I am able to cover now during my Bible Study time and this is only the tip of the iceberg! There is a wealth of information available including commentaries, dictionaries, maps, devotions and other extras as well. There’s even a version of “Thru the Bible” by J. Vernon McGee!

I’ve had the Bible I carry now for about fifteen years. Soon I plan to purchase a pocket PC for the Pocket PC version of “e-Sword” and my old Bible will take its place next to the one that my Grandfather had carried for so many years.



Get your copy of e-Sword here

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger sofyst said...

Thats just heretical. Jesus carried a Bible...He didn't use 'e-sword'!!!

9/30/2007 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger RF2R2 said...

Your grandfather's Sword gives me bible-envy. Truly a piece of art.

9/30/2007 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Adam I can't argue with that point! ;-)

Brandon I would give it to you if it were not a family heirloom. ;-)

It really is a beautiful book. I will try to post some pictures of it soon. I think it was the most elaborate possession my Grandfather owned.

9/30/2007 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thy word have I hid in my hard-drive...

9/30/2007 03:24:00 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Hi KC

You've been nominated for the Nice Matters Award.
The details are on my blog =)

9/30/2007 07:48:00 PM  
Blogger Pecheur said...

E-Sword is a blessing. I use it about 85% of the time now too.

Sidenote:Don't you find it funny that the Determinist had to come up with their own translation, (ESV) so as to really hound their little favorite verses?

When will it end? haha

10/01/2007 07:39:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

"that it might not spin against thee" ;-)

Congratulations Audrey! You really have earned that award in our life Sis! Thanks again so much for your kindness.

Pech e-Sword really has been a blessing to me and if memory serves I owe you thanks for directing me to it. I have to agree that there seems to be a bit of interpretation in the ESV translation.

That reminds me...

I should also mention there are several Greek and Hebrew versions available for free as well.

10/01/2007 09:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is there something a little sad about this? Idunno.

I use www.biblegateway.com from time to time. I really type poorly and am very slow. It makes it easier to copy and paste into bulletins, newsletters, documnets, etc.

Still, I like the book better. I can re-read the notes I make in the margins, keep track of where we stopped in Bible studies, and tell Timothy when he preached on a particular verse. Those notes are so valuable.

This will sound really silly, my Bible even smells good!

10/01/2007 11:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been e-sword for a while now and have really gotten a lot of good use out of it. I actually use it more than some of the so-called more high-powered Bible study programs that I own.

10/01/2007 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger RF2R2 said...

that it might not spin against thee

Bravo,

/clap

10/01/2007 03:46:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bravo, indeed. Well done.

10/01/2007 03:52:00 PM  
Blogger J said...

If your grandfather made any notes/comments in his Bible, you can transcribe them to e-Sword, using one of several different utility programs. (Text2DAO is the most geeky, but once grokked is the easiest to use. For non-geeks, Module Editor is probably the simplest to use. BeST is the most versatile, but has a moderate learning curve.)

Alternatively, you can just enter them as Study Notes, using the Study Note Component.

If you are very adventurous, you can scan the cover, and "family tree" type pages, then create an e-Sword MAP module from them.(If you use Map File Creator to make a map module, do not use the built in template.)

Then share both the Map and commentary modules with everybody who knew your grandfather.

xan

jonathon

10/01/2007 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Sis. Beth I understand the sadness. I think it is similar to the sadness that a man with a huge library might have felt when he learned of the printing press. The potential is there not to properly appreciate the work. I too prefer the smell of the book. ;-)

Preacher the only thing I haven't found for e-Sword yet is a good cross-reference but I haven't looked for one either. Maybe Jonathon knows of one?

Brandon I couldn't resist. ;-)

Thank you grand master (hehe).

Jonathon those are great tips. Maybe you could start a blog for e-Sword tips?

10/02/2007 08:59:00 AM  
Blogger sofyst said...

Pecheur, is it the determinist's fault that the ESV is a more accurate translation AND supports the deterministic philosophy? I think not...

Of course, I could argue that the non-determinist necessarily favor a version such as the Message, as it supports their philosophy. But I won't do that.

:-P

(Only kidding...)

10/02/2007 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger J said...

Cross-Reference tools:

Something other than Nave's Topical Bible, Thompson Chain Reference, and Scofield Reference Bible Notes? (Those are all available for e-Sword. Somewhere in http://www.esnips.com/web/eSwordFAQs/
is a list of currently available e-Sword resources.)

My e-Sword blog is at
http://sword-and-scabbard.blogspot.com/

xan

jonathon

10/03/2007 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

e-Sword? Sooo tempting! It must be sharp!

10/06/2007 08:59:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Jonathon thanks again. Those are all great links. I also found one for the KJV as well as a KJV dictionary.

I'm really impressed with all your work on this great tool. ;-)

Kitty give it a try and you'll be hooked. ;-)

10/06/2007 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger sofyst said...

I am the very model of a modern major general...

10/06/2007 01:50:00 PM  
Blogger J. Wendell said...

Hi KC,
I love my e-sword! While this determinist does not care much for the RSV, I mean the updated ESV. I still enjoy the AV and NIV, ASV (1901).

KC perhaps you can persuade me. What do you see as advantages of the ESV?

Blessings upon you,
John

10/07/2007 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Bro. John the only advantage I gain from reading the ESV is the knowledge of what some of my learned brethren are reading. ;-)

You? a Determinist? (grin)

10/07/2007 04:27:00 PM  
Blogger Deviant Monk said...

I've used e-sword back in my PC days, but they don't seem to have it for Mac, and I don't have an Intel-based one yet. :-( However, you should check out youversion.com

It's still really beta, but it looks like it will be really decent, because it allows users to upload pictures, art, videos, commentary, etc., and attach them to specific verses/passages/etc. Kind of like wikipedia meets bible study. Check it out.

10/08/2007 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

DM thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. BTW you're video's are kewl! ;-)

10/08/2007 03:07:00 PM  
Blogger J. Wendell said...

Hi KC,

Thanks for your honest response to my question. Now I can rest knowing that I am not required to rush out and buy another Bible.

God has determined that all who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, His finished work and His glorious resurrection will be saved.

I am determined to make Him known; to do my best in word, deed, and in all manner of living to glorify Him. One may say, “That’s impossible!” The better one knows me, the more accurate that statement would be, it is impossible. That’s why I rely on the Holy Spirit dwelling in me to do His good pleasure.

John

10/09/2007 07:55:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Bro. John that is a fantabulous answer! I must now confess that in that light, I too, am a Determinist! ;-)

10/09/2007 08:06:00 AM  
Blogger Rose~ said...

What????
How does one get "Thru the Bible" on e-sword?
Huhhhhh?????
How could I have missed this?!!!
KC, you must hep me! Please, oh pretty please, tell me how to get hti?

10/10/2007 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Rose~ said...

hti = 'this' or 'it', I am not sure which

10/10/2007 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

(hehe) I knew that would get your attention. I emailed you the link but it's found under the commentay section. ;-)

10/10/2007 02:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment