Home
« Home | Next: "good tidings of great joy" »
| Next: A few things…and many request »
| Next: The Way, the Truth and The Life »
| Next: By way of introduction… »
| Next: What I don't have »
| Next: Time vs. Sin »
| Next: The “Point” of Mystery »
| Next: We be Anomolies »
| Next: Okay gang, set back and get comfortable... »
| Next: Amazing »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Friday, December 28, 2007

A Powerless Message

According to Romans 1:16 the Gospel of Christ is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes. In Romans 10:14 the question is raised concerning how anyone can believe something they haven’t yet heard. Verse 15 then makes it clear that the responsibility for proclaiming the Gospel of peace falls on the evangelist.

Now we all know there is no end of controversy and discussion concerning the requirements, qualifications and preparation of the evangelist but how often today do we hear of the necessity of love in evangelism? 1st Corinthians 13 begins this way:

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.”
(Vs. 1, KJV)
I can think of nothing sadder than the preacher whose heart has turned so cold that his words are never heard.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a powerful thought. Amen!

12/28/2007 05:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what you're saying is, for a preacher to truly be effective he must be patient, kind and not jealous. He won't brag or be arrogant. He won't act unbecomingly; or seek his own. He is not provoked, nor does he take into account a wrong suffered. He does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth... etc, etc.

I've met a lot of preachers (and, granted, this is a tall order), but it has been the few who resemble this list that have really caught my ear.

12/28/2007 08:55:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ironic that most of the ministers that came to my mind when I read your post (and Jefe's comment) have been condemned for "watering down" the good news or "preaching a different gospel" by the bretheren who have taken it upon themselves to "defend the faith."

12/28/2007 09:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Nicholas thanks and welcome! ;-)

Jeff if my understanding is correct then for our message to even be heard at all we must first have love. I think it's a shortcoming on our part that we are so careful in so many things yet so easily set this necessity aside. Shouldn't the attributes of love be one of the primary things we learn and practice before undertaking evangelism?

Dorse it's tragic when you think about it. Our Lord told us the world would known us by our love for one another and then we have headlines like the one you posted on today. May God have mercy on us and bless us to be known to the world.

12/28/2007 10:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the attributes of love be one of the primary things we learn and practice before undertaking evangelism?

I agree wholeheartly. That's why I listed them as I did.

I think sometimes we think about the concept of "love", and we assume it's a smile and a pat on the back.

Unfortunately, the manner in which we are traditionally taught to evangelize is the very antithesis of Paul's definition of love.

I like my Pastor's phrase: "People don't care what you know until they know you care".

12/28/2007 09:31:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

I like that phrase too brother. ;-)

12/29/2007 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Hello KC, I totally agree with you and it is sad.

I think Dorsey and Jefe are right on also.

I think many preach the gospel from the "self-deception" of obedience to commands but not ever having realized(experienced) God's love, His unconditional love for themselves(Matthew 7:22). Their praise is from their peers and not from God(Romans 2:29).

12/29/2007 07:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Post KC.

Of course love isn't always perceived as caring, is it? I think the cross is the case in point. Although I understand what you're saying.

12/30/2007 08:51:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Kris you've pin-pointed my perception on this and clearly highlighted what I consider the consequence. Thanks for being so clear!

Bobby first let me say it is wonderful to have you back in the Blogspehere! ;-)

I think you're also right about the perception of love and I think Jeff was wise to list love's attributes.

12/31/2007 07:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment