Home
« Home | Next: Stuck in the middle again »
| Next: Life with a twist »
| Next: Trust and Communication »
| Next: What do you expect? »
| Next: I Need You »
| Next: I don't know what to do »
| Next: Idea (Judgment) #3 What are we missing here? »
| Next: Idea (judgment) #2 A Souleopathic Medical Dictionary »
| Next: Around Town.... »
| Next: Overexposed »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Ultrapsychology – Our new state religion?


In his essay entitled “Psychology, Psychoanalysis and Religious Faith”, Dr. Jorge W. F. Amaro states “Both psychotherapy and religion have the same mission: the evolution of humankind. Psychotherapy employs theories and methods that can be tested and questioned. Religion employs catechization, a systematic instruction of theories based on faith and revelation.” Does this mission he claims both religion and psychotherapy have undertaken really have the same goal in mind; “Boff's concept direct human forces toward the protection of material, social and spiritual life, considering that the essence of spirituality without necessarily associating it with a traditional religion or a superior Being .”; a spiritual life with no God? This concept is not new however it is gaining popularity and “ultrapsychology” seems to be the perfect religion for such believers. It is even more disturbing when we consider that this new religion seems to have strong support within our political and criminal justice systems. Child welfare legislation is guided almost exclusively by the precepts of this religion and the court system follows through by giving more weight to the word of the psychiatrist who is only casually acquainted with those in question than to that of an ordained minister who is thoroughly familiar with the entire situation. Current state licensing requirements for counselors has evolved to the point that many Christian counselors are excluded by virtue of their faith. I have no doubt that there are numerous benefits for those in need of psychiatric medicine. I am also convinced that those who practice the religion of ultrapsychology will miss life altogether.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger sofyst said...

Interesting...I have always been attracted to the psychological field. I have actually gotten my associates in psychology and plan on getting my doctorate after I finish my philosophical theological degree. I think I am more so attracted to the understanding of why humans do what they do, the study of their behavior (isn't that what psychology is?) But I think I can see your point as well, how these theories can be taken wrongly and abused...no matter what the opinion is, it is not an exact science.

6/02/2005 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Adam: Exactly! So many of these “experts” have done nothing less than to convert their theory into an absolute truth. I’m not surprised to find out about your interest in psychology. This will sound absurd but I really think it is one area that could benefit greatly from the perspective of thinking people like you.

Matt: I think this is just plain humanism. What bothers me so much is that it is ushered in under the guise of science making it much more palatable to those who already have the tendency to trust their own understanding while at the same time elevating itself to the level of spirituality.

6/04/2005 08:01:00 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I agree 100% Casey! There is no reforming the flesh. Its corrupted and is being corrupted.

Thats the beauty of the Gospel. God tells us what our hearts are: vile, corrupt, deceitful, and wicked, who can know it. But He loves us anyway thru Christ just as we are.
That is true therapy (a new heart) to start us down the road to how we relate toward our fellow man and life.

I agree matt it is humanism. Which is our pride in thinking that any of us can change anyone else apart from our Creator who is the truth.
They very much know "most" of the reasons and theories behind our behaviour but they don't have the true lasting Answer to change it.

The god of this world is influencing our nation more and more.

My 2 cents
Kris

6/07/2005 06:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

maybe that wasn't matt that said it was humanism. oh well i still agree Casey.

Does a person have psychological problems if they agree with everyone? :)

6/07/2005 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Kris thanks again for the comments. I really like the new heart therapy concept. I do suspect that always agreeing might be a problem but I only seeing you being agreeable which is totally different. I find agreeable people place more value on love than on being proper and correct. They tend to be peacemakers, quick to reconcile, promoting love between the brethren. Now I see that as a problem for those looking for strife. ;-)

6/08/2005 04:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment