Home
« Home | Next: Trust and Communication »
| Next: What do you expect? »
| Next: I Need You »
| Next: I don't know what to do »
| Next: Idea (Judgment) #3 What are we missing here? »
| Next: Idea (judgment) #2 A Souleopathic Medical Dictionary »
| Next: Around Town.... »
| Next: Overexposed »
| Next: How do you spell relief.... »
| Next: Christian Unity »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Saturday, May 28, 2005

Life with a twist

Published boldly (by permission) in spite of the potential international implications (not to mention the glaring looks!)

I’ll admit I’m a hometown boy. I’ve taken a few trips in my life and I’ve been blessed to meet a few people from various places on the planet but for the most part my life is much more active on a local basis. Now I know when I say I’m from Alabama that most of you conjure up pictures of tobacco chewing, pick-up truck driving rednecks. Well I’ll confess I sure could use a pick-up truck at times (we get by with a van) and maybe “taking a chew” would be preferable to some of my more undesirable habits but the fact remains that my neck only gets red when I’m embarrassed. Now to the point;

If you’ve ventured over to the “Experiencing Rheumatoid Arthritis” blog that Corry authors you’ve already been exposed to some of the experiences we’ve shared together since our marriage three years ago (trust me she’s barely touched the surface!). Now I am one of those fortunate men who was actually able to entice, seduce, trick, convince and otherwise manipulate a woman much more intelligent (and much, much better looking!) than myself to wed. This lady is well educated. She speaks several languages, has a quick wit and a twisted sense of humor rivaled only by my own. The thing is, she’s not of this world. She’s from the Netherlands (I say the Nether world) and while her command of the English language is far better than my own, bless her heart, she is just now learning to speak southern. Now Corry was raised Catholic and converted to Baptist after our marriage (no implications made here as I have many Catholic Brethren and family) and only recently moved to the south. Can you say culture shock? As most of us know in the Catholic Church the clergy are referred to as priest and often addressed as “father” while in the Baptist Church it is common to refer to a minister as the “pastor”. Some prefer to be addressed as “reverend”,however most in our churches (Missionary Baptist) just say “hey preacher”. Do you know how penicillin was discovered? Well in much the same way I’ve discovered how to open up the world to many Baptist preachers who are hometown boys too. Want the secret? Just sit quietly and smile as your wife refers to them as “priest”. ;-)

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Kc said...

Has anyone bothered to count the "hubby points" vs "the I'll get you for that points"? I should have checked first but I think I'm on the safe side.

5/28/2005 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Newsflash:

Today in Lower Alabama an international incident of domestic nature occured between the USA and the Netherlands. Luckily however, it was quickly resolved by all the hubby points scored. The wife promised never to refer to a preacher as a "priest" again.

That is...unless she wants to make her hubby smile!

Kc, Ah luv ya, hon:-)

5/28/2005 08:35:00 AM  
Blogger Pecheur said...

As "priest" I've been asked to perform the last rite and give blessings. In fact, one day I was at church in the office and Hugo came in wanting a blessing. So, I went over to him, but my hand on his shoulder and started, "Dear Lord, bless Hugo today and let your presence be known in his life..." when I was interupted by Hugo who said, "No no mahn, you doin it wrong, here iz how to do it." He put his first two fingers on my chest and said "bless his heart" then on my head, "keep his thoughts clean" then on my lips "keep his words pure" And then he simply walked out. I guess I had no idea how to perform my priestly duties.

5/29/2005 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger Pecheur said...

BTW "hugo" is not Hugo we know in blogosphere. I don't think. Hugo in my story was a young Hispanic who needed some spiritual help

5/29/2005 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Hugo said...

lol! :-) And here I thought I wa bi-locating without even knowing it! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

5/30/2005 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Matt is seems you have the ability to put your finger right on the pulse of a relationship. ;-) I really laughed out loud when I pictured you counseling a young couple and telling them that (too funny). I think you’re right about some of the customs we’ve become so familiar with. We should probably be more sensitive to visitors and offer some explanation.

Pech I’m sure you’ll get down those fine points. I’ll be glad to take that blessing Hugo passed up. ;-)

Hugo I knew it wasn’t you Pech was referring to. You would have been much more reassuring and supportive. ;-)

5/31/2005 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger Hugo said...

lol! :-) my reputation precedes me :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

6/01/2005 09:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment