Home
« Home | Next: My Final Post »
| Next: Caught in Katrina »
| Next: Another gospel »
| Next: My complete soteriology is that... »
| Next: Listen to this! »
| Next: There's a difference.... »
| Next: Who then can be saved? »
| Next: A few things have come up..... »
| Next: Saving Grace »
| Next: Pecheur Update »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Friday, September 02, 2005

Purpose driven or pointless?

There seems to be a huge and growing disparity between believers today regarding what I consider to be the answer to a purely philosophical question; “why am I”? One the one side we are instructed to live a “purpose driven life” while the other side ask the question; “why have an agenda at all”?

With the knowledge of the Truth came an understanding of the reason for my existence and gave meaning to my life but the way and the means to that end was, and is often, totally obscure. Through prayer, study, discussion and instruction from those more knowledgeable and skilled in His service I continue to search and find His way in my life. Could it be that those who question the need for an agenda are only uncertain of the way to achieve it or do they really fail to see a reason for their existence?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristi B. said...

Well, I think that as Christians we should definitely be purpose-driven. Our purpose for being left on this earth is to bring God glory by becoming more like Christ (Rom. 8:29) and winning others to the Savior (John 15:8).

Now the question at hand is, how do we get there? Anytime you set a goal, you have to plan to get there--it doesn't just happen. The same is true here, I believe. We must have a plan for becoming more like Christ. We must make conscious efforts to lead others to Christ. It won't just happen. You must yield yourself to the working of the Holy Spirit, put to death the workings of the flesh, and saturate yourself with God's Word, prayer, and godly fellowship.

If you really see your purpose in life, I don't know how there is any way that you could say you don't need an agenda to get there.

9/02/2005 03:01:00 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

Kc and Kristi,

Man, this is a great question! My thought is that the reason so many set goals is because they are results oriented. Yet, God is not a results oriented God. He is a process oriented God. Recently, He had me chronicle my life on paper. When I did, I came to the most amazing conclusion: When I tried to set the goals, my life went off course; when I allowed Him to direct, I was right on course. When I set the goals, I tried to open the doors; when He showed me the goals, He opened doors for me. Kc, what is great about this is how closely it relates to what I have written in the devotionals for the past few days.

Kristi, my question to you would be whose purpose is driving us? Is it ours, or His? The reason this is such a crucial question is because God created us to be independent thinkers. We can actually think independent of God. It is this issue of free will that snares many of us. Remember, Christ had a free will, but He chose to bring under His Father's will. When we are completely at the Father's disposal, He leads us where He wants us to go.

This is really a great subject; I truly hope others contribute!

9/02/2005 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Kristi I admire your determination and I pray it will remain a part of you all the years of your life. I think I could stand to be a bit more determined myself. ;-)

Ron I guess maybe I've been reading them huh? (grin)

I think I probably fall "smack dab in the middle" here. I am certain we should strive to bring every thought captive and when we do I suspect we'll find ourselves dwelling more and more on the Gospel with an increased burden to share it with others. I am considering His commission to us to teach the "all things" and to Baptize more and more each day. While I always rejoice when someone is converted I don't measure the gain, only my effort to accomplish His will in me. ;-)

9/02/2005 08:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

Ron,

Thanks for the question. I will try to clarify my thoughts. If we are purpose-driven people, just for the sole purpose of having a purpose and a goal, you are right--we will get way off-course. But when we let God's goals for our life become our own, (submitting our free will to the will of God) we will experience a very fruitful productive life, because God will be the One directing, and we will be following where He leads.

And Kc, I agree, we won't be measuring the gain, but people around us will see us becoming more and more like Christ as we do the will of the Father for our lives.

9/05/2005 01:06:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Kristi thanks for the follow up and we agree. ;-)

9/05/2005 03:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment