Home
« Home | Next: Faith and Thoughts »
| Next: The Protestant Pub »
| Next: Why here? »
| Next: My Statement of Faith »
| Next: Denominationalism and the Church »
| Next: Faith and Theology »
| Next: Dispensationalism; Free-Grace Theolgy; and Old Sch... »
| Next: Celebrity Bloggers »
| Next: Space Invaders »
| Next: Desperately seeking Susan »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Faith and Forgiveness: Part I

Forgiveness may be one of the single most important aspects of living by faith but is sadly one of the most controversial and misunderstood. Our ability to have a relationship with God is not even possible without it and our continued fellowship with Him and His family is totally dependant on it. The depth of this subject overwhelms me as I consider my attempt to relate it here. I am persuaded I cannot offer anyone a full understanding and I suspect a full understanding of forgiveness might even require the full knowledge of God. I also suspect that, like other all aspects of living by faith, the need for application far outweighs the need for understanding and is only made possible through Christ Jesus. With this fact in mind I welcome any and all thoughts contrary to my perspective but I pray we can all find agreement in practice.

In this series I will try to focus on the distinction between forgiveness from God and forgiving one another and the problems caused when we confuse one with the other. I will attempt to address what I perceive as several misconceptions concerning forgiveness as well as the necessity for seeking forgiveness from God and from others. I hope to highlight the need for acknowledging an offense and I will offer my understanding of the scriptural approach to resolving offenses. I will do all I can to differentiate between my perspective and the clear biblical instruction concerning forgiveness. Please feel free to engage my theology but I ask that you also attempt to make this distinction when relating your thoughts here in order that we might find agreement in practice. I would insist if I could but can only encourage you to call me out if you suspect I have erred in presenting the scripture in any way and I assure you I will only appreciate it. ;-)

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Forgiveness is really important.

I have seen a lot of Christians fall into the trap of thinking that forgiving others is a condition for receiving eternal forgiveness for sin. I mentioned on my blog a while ago that I have a friend who sometimes preaches the message of forgiving others to unbelievers.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

3/07/2006 07:09:00 AM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

This is going to be good stuff! I know there are some areas in my life where I haven't exercised the complete forgiveness of Christ as I should. I'm looking forward to what you write and share with us!

3/07/2006 08:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kc, i'm very interested as well in what you have to say about this. i have been having a very hard time with forgiving someone who has died.i didn't even realize it, but i find myself getting angry when i think about her because of the way she affected a person i love. how in the world do you stop that when you see this person everyday that she affected? i've prayed about this. its hard.
we can't possibly forgive like Christ did. can we?
your friend,
zina

3/07/2006 09:44:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Matthew I think when we understand forgiveness it becomes clear we're unable to even consider it apart from Christ.

Kristi thanks again for your confidence and I hope it's good for us all. ;-)

Zina I'm always so happy to see your comments. I do understand your situation and sympathize. I would be so thankful if something I offer will help you resolve those feelings.
I'm hoping to see some photo's posted soon (hint hint). ;-)

3/07/2006 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I noticed you helped Titus widen his blog template. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me also. I have the same exact template as him just in pink :-). My email address is: chatterboxchronicles@hotmail.com. Thanks!!!!

3/07/2006 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger Rose~ said...

I am looking forward to this, Casey. God bless you. I have questions about this subject, there is an aspect that puzzles me. Maybe you will help clear it up.

3/07/2006 08:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this sounds really interesting and i'm looking forward to learning more. forgiveness is something i have been struggling with. i have been both victorious and a failure when it comes to this. i also wish to share what i have learned with regards to this subject.

god bless. =)

3/07/2006 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger sofyst said...

BRING IT biggun...

3/08/2006 01:18:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Welcome Miss CB and I hope that helped. ;-)

Rose may God bless us all to learn better how to forgive. Thank you sister. ;-)

Pia I think most of us struggle. It is so opposed to our nature to forgive those who have wronged us and I think that makes it difficult for us to understand how God can grant forgiveness. I'm looking forward to your thoughts. ;-)

Adam I'll do my best! ;-)

3/08/2006 04:59:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Rev it is huge and I'm feeling the weight of it. There is so much involved in it and the need seems so great but I'm having a hard time breaking it into coherent sections. Thanks so much for the encouragement. ;-)

3/08/2006 03:22:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looking forward to your series, Kc. I have some contradictory ideas about forgiveness.

Warmly in Christ,

jodie

3/09/2006 08:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment