Home
« Home | Next: Focus! »
| Next: Keep the Faith »
| Next: I've Been On the Mountain..... »
| Next: The Common Thread »
| Next: Is it a Lust for Power? »
| Next: Responsibility, Accountability, and Rights »
| Next: A Few Things.. »
| Next: Applied Theology »
| Next: Hmmmmmm....... »
| Next: Just so You'll Know »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Monday, April 18, 2005

The 90/10 Rule


I have to take a moment to clarify something to myself and for those who might chance to get a glimpse of me here. I know I am not a religious pluralist yet I am certain I cannot completely espouse all aspects of any religious system of beliefs. What I offer here is my own present understanding of what I read in what I accept as scripture and as I have found it applies to me. I find this a perfect forum to share this information as there is room for comment giving those dissenting with me or more knowledgeable than myself an opportunity to correct my misinterpretations. If you reject the possibility that the Truth can be found in scripture then we will certainly have nothing to discuss on the majority of my post and still your comments are welcome.

That said I now offer another of my personal philosophies concerning the Truth, faith and God. I do not believe I am unique in my approach, however I suspect it is necessary for me to clearly state it as I find there are many whose search for truth is in great contrast to my own search for the Truth.

I find very few absolutes. I do find what I’ve come to call the 90/10 rule. I think it’s very simple to understand and being simple minded it suits me well. If I say that something is true it means that I have proven to myself that at least 90% of it is so. If I say that something is not true it means I have proven to myself that 90% of it is not so or I find it in direct contradiction to one of the few absolutes I personally hold true. I often apply this rule when referring to what I consider my own “personal knowledge” which is based solely on my own understanding. I desire to trust more in the Truth that transcends my personal knowledge and that “knowledge” is deep within my heart. I often strive to resolve the conflicts that arise between this knowledge and my own understanding. I find again I am not unique. I perceive there are those who for one reason or another have chosen to reject either their heart or their understanding. Experience has taught me that I do not relate well with these as those with heart alone reject any attempt at understanding and those who trust only in what they understand most often reject the Truth.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Hugo said...

Hmmm . . . I may have to steal that 90/10 Rule idea - I like it :-)


I read an intervie with Raymond Brown (Catholic Scripture scholar - really good stuff) where the interviewer asked him why he always answered his questions with such certainty. Brown replied that if he believed it he would answer with conviction - if he wasn't sure he would precede his comments with a disclaimer - and that everything he said was said under the premise that he would change his mind in an instant if he were presented with the correct evidence.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

4/20/2005 07:53:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

You guys know what’s mine is yours :-)

I sympathize with Mr. Brown where knowledge is concerned. It is so easy to close your mind before all the evidence is in. I have a passion for The Truth that forces me to constantly question my own understanding. I think the consequence of the brutal scrutiny results in what appears to be strength of conviction or certainty.

4/20/2005 09:20:00 PM  
Blogger Hugo said...

I think that once we accept everything without even a hint of questioning we have become spiritually stagnant . . . God (& life in general) have a way of throwing both good and bad things at us to keep us on our toes . . . if all we do is keep regurgitating the same answers to different questions . . . well . . . we may need to look at our own faith journey. Glad you're honest and couragous enough to continually evaluate your faith and it's implications for your life. :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

4/22/2005 11:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment