Home
« Home | Next: A few more things »
| Next: Take time to be holy »
| Next: Life is full of choices...how do you feel about that? »
| Next: Faith and emotions »
| Next: Who's in the family? »
| Next: Just a few more things… »
| Next: s o f y s t - o c c a s i o n »
| Next: How firm a foundation »
| Next: Value of scholarship »
| Next: For posterity. This is where I spent (and misspen... »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Time out...

A few months ago I commented on the site of a brilliant theologian in response to an article on denominations:

“I consider myself to be a Mainline Epistolic Searching Sojourner (MESS)”
He received the joke well and I considered myself rather sharp witted for having created such an amusing acronym. In the progression of time the opportunity to exhibit my creative genious presented itself once more. I dutifly rose to the occasion only this time it was with my friend who has known me his whole life.

“I think I’m more a dispensationalist than a Calvinist and while I still maintain my Armenian beliefs I firmly hold to my pluralist convictions though they give way to my fundamental tendency which is often tempered by my liberal view point. Hmmmm. I guess I’m still a mainstream epistolic-searching sojourner (MESS)”
Being the true and caring friend I’ve always known him to be he lovingly replied:

“Are there any contradictions in being a Calvinist and dispensationalist? Ryrie himself is definitely in the Reformed crowd (and I do not have anything against him, I've met him personally several times and chatted with him).

In maintaining your Armenian beliefs, how far do you take his view on falling from grace? He said he did not know if a person could fall from grace, but he thought they could.

While holding to Armenian beliefs, I am assuming you mean we all make a choice to whether we will become a Christian or not, then how you "hold to your pluralist" convictions? Even Arminus (wonderful things do come from the Netherlands) was an exclusivist in terms of salvation. A pluralist does not hold to the exclusivity of Jesus for salvation. Next, pluralism gives way to the fundamentals, which diametrically oppose pluralism and is not compatible with liberalim of any sort.

Mainstream? Hmmm. If you are reading the Trail of Blood you are definitely not mainstream. And a mainstream knowledge seeker traveling through? I'll buy the sojourner part, but I am skeptical of the MES part.

So, now I have reduced you down to an S. =) It's been fun and I understand what you are saying. I'm just picking you to death, but through this little exercise I am assuming you would like to be identified as one still searching. I guess we all are in that stance (although I have to reject anything beginning with liberalism or pluralism)”

An education is a wonderful thing….until your friend gets one. ;-)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kc said...

Oh sure professor rub it in! (I love you too brother hehe)

10/18/2005 06:13:00 PM  
Blogger sofyst said...

I was wondering the same when I heard you dichotomize Dispy beliefs and Calvinism. I didn't know those two were exclusive. One is obviouly wrong, and I cannot for the life of me see why any God fearing Calvinist would go the route of Dispensationalism, but stranger things do happen.

10/19/2005 05:44:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Adam as my scriptural attorney I'm disappointed you let this stand as long as you did!

As you well know I am only a 2&1/4 point Calvinist. No TULIP for me only a ROSE! As such I am entitled to adhere to 50% of the dipensationalist doctrine! ;-)

(I hope you're at least relieved my theology isn't LIBERAL like SOME people we know!) hahaha

10/19/2005 06:02:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Matt you're still one of my all time favorites, liberal or not. (grin)

10/19/2005 07:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment