Home
« Home | Next: A Web-Wide Celebration! »
| Next: Biblical Unity »
| Next: "I not only have all the answers, I am the only on... »
| Next: Does your faith move your mountain? »
| Next: First things Second »
| Next: The Circus Comes to Town »
| Next: A Request »
| Next: Paying the Rent »
| Next: Rightly Dividing »
| Next: Can you tell? »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Biblical Unity Defined

The term “Biblical Unity” is ambiguous in itself, as is the term “Biblical Separation”. These terms should not be understood to imply that we should unite or separate over our various persuasions and perceptions concerning such things as which version, translation or even which interpretations of the Bible are valid. Biblical Unity, as used here, simply means the concept of unity presented in the Bible that should be evident in all versions, translations and interpretations.

Believers today have found unity in a number of ways. Too often our unity is founded on our common judgment against other believers or conversely in our agreement against any judgment at all. Many are unified in a particular custom and/or tradition while others unite only with those who condone none of that. While I concede that exceedingly strong bonds are formed in and around these concepts I would ask that each of you concede, not only that none of these concepts represent Biblical Unity, but also that these unions often serve to prevent it. Simply stated, any unity that may be achieved outside that which is prescribed in the scripture cannot be considered to be Biblical Unity as defined above.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't disagree, but I have to confess; some days, depending on who I'm with, I'll take what I can get.

5/12/2009 09:53:00 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

KC, I'm not sure I understand (brain fog alert). Are you simply stating that Biblical unity or separation is just a descriptor of the subjects as described in the Bible - but there's not a doctrine of either?

5/12/2009 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Dorsey it’s obvious you already get the concept! ;-)

Missy we both know by now that your “brain fog“ can most often be defined as your “confusion brought on by trying to make sense of kc’s pathetic attempt to communicate his thoughts!” ;-)

I first hope to establish a clear definition for the term, “Biblical Unity” and second hope to highlight the fact that the concepts and foundations for most of our unions, and subsequently our separation, are not biblical.

5/12/2009 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Okay, I'm down with that. :)

5/12/2009 11:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Gordon Cloud said...

KC, it surely does my heart good to see you posting again. I really appreciate your thoughts on this matter. I believe it is safe to say that you and I are unified when it comes to this topic.

5/13/2009 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

May God bless you Preacher. I have no doubt concerning our unity even if we were to disagree. ;-)

5/13/2009 07:09:00 AM  
Blogger Timothy said...

I think the previous post gave some clarity on your thoughts. But it seems to me you are saying the church should never step in to discipline members who are in error, or who are not acting in accordance with Scripture. To do that of course, is unscriptural. So I'm not really sure what you are calling for or trying to say. Are we to trump unity at the expense of purity? Are we to trump unity at the expense of sound doctrine? Again, both of those stances are not tenable with good biblical teaching.

Blessings

5/15/2009 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Pastor it’s great to have your thoughts here as always. All our best you and yours! ;-)

I hope to show that there is no purity or discipline apart from biblical unity and that biblical unity is not founded on or maintained by an agreement in doctrine. My understanding on Church discipline is fully detailed here: http://justsoyouallknow.blogspot.com/2007/02/church-discipline.html

5/15/2009 03:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment