Home
« Home | Next: I simply can't believe my own theology! »
| Next: What makes a "good" blog? »
| Next: And Even More Things »
| Next: Deja Vu all over again »
| Next: Forgive me »
| Next: Ultrapsychology – Our new state religion? »
| Next: Stuck in the middle again »
| Next: Life with a twist »
| Next: Trust and Communication »
| Next: What do you expect? »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Saturday, June 18, 2005

Let's be reasonable


I love to study the New Testament. I’ve been blessed to enjoy several good bible studies recently with both friends and family and as always my knowledge by understanding has decreased while my suspicions in faith have increased. I recalled a verse in 2 Corinthians 5:17 where Paul stated, in part, that a man in Christ is a new creature and “all things become new”.

I remember that before my conversion I honestly thought that being Christian meant you knew all about God. I actually expected that was a requirement and that all you “so called” Christians were actually hypocrites because it was obvious that none of you knew much, if anything about God. I remember when I first believed and how shocked I was at how little I actually “knew”. The only thing that was obvious was exactly what Paul had said. Nothing was what it had seemed before. Suddenly all you hypocrites were my brothers and sisters, my support group and my best friends. The people I once hated I now loved and my dope smoking, drinking buddies were convinced I had been brain washed. Something else that was so different was this burning desire I had to understand, not only God’s will for me, but also just exactly what had happened to me. Odd isn’t it? I wasn’t educated into faith, rather my education had to be set aside in order to have faith. Once I had it I became totally ignorant and every day was an adventure filled with one blessing after another as I began to see God in all creation.

Then my education started and I couldn’t get enough of the bible. I tried to start in Genesis but by the time I reached the first genealogies I was lost so I went to Matthew. “Ah, this is where it’s at” I thought, and so began my obsession with the New Testament. I used to love trying to unravel the mystery within each verse. I used every free moment to study, even at work during lunch. As time progressed and I became a little more comfortable with my new found understanding I began to have a desire to discuss it with those who seemed to be so knowledgeable of the scripture. It seemed God had opened my eyes to so much and yet still I knew they were head and shoulders above me in their understanding. I followed all the normal lessons and questioned my teachers endlessly. Once again I was surprised to find that they too had their own questions and these lessons simply couldn’t satisfy my thirst and my hunger. I continued to study and to discuss my studies with any poor soul who would allow me the time. I was building here and it was a strong building with each block checked and rechecked for accuracy. I can’t honestly say how long this continued but I do know it went on until at some point I no longer considered myself only a student but also capable of teaching. My answers began to be more numerous than my questions and this was a sign to me that now I should give what was given to me.

There’s been a lot of life between then and now and the other day I had tapped out a sentence to a friend I’m corresponding with and I was amazed at the thought that had escaped from my mind. “Quite frankly of late I question the need for any reasonable understanding at all, only the acceptance of all that is of God.”

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Pecheur said...

Do you remember, when you were corrupting the minds of the youth, my asking you to be our teacher? You said you felt that you worked better with the older kids. From then on, I could not wait until I was "bigger" to get into your class. Sis H. did quite well until I reach the age of Kc's class. And I was not dissappointed.

Funny, much later on I became your teacher? What the heck was that?

6/18/2005 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

To answer your question it is commonly referred to as a “great blessing”. I'm no prophet but it always seemed to me that God had a very special plan for you and gave you a very special Mother to guide you toward it. I was so accustomed to all the wide-eyed stares that I hardly knew how to react to your intense scrutiny. I could really go with the flow of my memories here but I suspect it best to leave off for now. ;-)

I'm still corrupting them Pech and even worse than before! You brought back some wonderful memories. I wonder how this current group of young people will reflect. Things are so much different now and still so much the same. They still show up with their friends but it’s a lot more personal now. I’m amazed that most have never even been exposed to scripture but they all have their preconceived notions. Our studies are almost always born out of trauma and it seems there’s no time allowed to prepare. The need to be instant in season seems greater now than then. I’ve noticed I’m allowed much less time with them than before but the lessons seem to “stick” much better than before. Again I could go on. Maybe soon, huh?

Thanks for the memories.

6/19/2005 06:15:00 AM  
Blogger sofyst said...

[I wasn’t educated into faith, rather my education had to be set aside in order to have faith.]

While we cannot say that Christianity is completely devoid of mindless ignorant simpletons; we can of course claim that in order 'to become' a Christian one cannot attempt to do so by reason.

This is one of my major disagreements with people such as Lee Strobel and his 'Case for...' books.

No matter how hard you try, or how much undeniable evidence you present to anyone, they can still reject that evidence for some reason (whether it be viable or not). If God were to show Himself now, upon this earth, to all mankind; then most would still claim some reason as to why this is not 'God'.

I think Augustine said it best when he said 'I believe in order that I may know'. For him at least, he believed that there was a God; then his reason was enlightened and proved that there was in fact a God.

Ok, I'm rambling and off track.

That comment of yours just made me think of all this. You set your education aside to have faith; yet then from your own admission you found after you had come to faith your education became truly alive and you could not stop its thirst to know...

awaiting the hope,
Adam

6/19/2005 07:37:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Exactly Adam. While our faith is certainly not blind, as even the heavens declare His glory, it is impossible to have without believing in our heart, that is accepting, that Jesus is Christ. We do this in spite of our reasoning, not because of it. I intend to expand on this thought in my next blog. Thanks again for your insight.

6/19/2005 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Matthew 11:25,26

The Word of God is so true to those who become as children in respect to faith in God.

Bless you kc

6/22/2005 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Kris I guess that's when the foolishness of preaching takes on a whole new perspective. Thanks so much for the blessing brother and I pray God will continue to bless you as well.

6/22/2005 08:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment