Home
« Home | Next: Me? an Elitist? »
| Next: In the Eye of the Storm »
| Next: Neal Whitlow has tagged me to respond to the "book... »
| Next: A conversation »
| Next: Post-modern? »
| Next: An old poem »
| Next: Were you aware of this? »
| Next: One percent more »
| Next: Let's be reasonable »
| Next: I simply can't believe my own theology! »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Thursday, July 14, 2005

From the peanut gallery

So it’s a conversation not a movement?

In my quest to understand my PoMo brethren and the Emergent Church it seems I’ve discovered for myself an underlying problem that prevents or retards the dialog they seek. In the comments from a previous observation I offered some translations to Pech that I hoped would be helpful. I will list them at the end of this post and I urge anyone who wishes to dissent or clarify to comment on this work in progress.

I would also like to officially chastise (ok really it’s a plea) my PoMo brethren for their own discrimination based on age, religious affiliation and social/ political ideologies. If you guys really want the Church to emerge from your “conversation” you’re going to have to be willing to listen to, and address the concerns of those who need understanding. After all, isn’t that what you’re asking? Sow first, then reap.

This next comment may seem harsh but I pray it will prick and not cut the heart. It seems that, just as those they criticize, many who lay claim to the Emergent cause are using the Church to advance their own particular social/political agenda. I would encourage us all, Emergent or not, to examine our hearts and determine if we are truly trying to identify with Christ or are we creating just another controlling oppressive religious identity.

My prayer for you

Lately I’ve read so many post from ministers who live in fear of their own congrgation. My heart is so heavy for these men and I know the heavy-handed means some Church members use to keep hearts cold and minds closed. I pray that God will touch the hearts of those who have made their opinion the doctrine of the Church and grant these ministers the freedom to serve as He intended.

And now the first installment of
“The Emergent Dictionary”

Post Modern – An ideological perspective of our current time. The present.

Modern – An ideological perspective of recent history.

Context – An ideological place in time.

Community – Usually used to refer to the local Church family but can be global.

Tribe – A more definitive term used for the local Church Family.

Relationship – A love for or of something or someone. We have a relationship with Jesus, the community, our neighbor and the world.

Narrative – A story often with respect to scriptural interpretation.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kc said...

Corry said I was really lashing out in this post and that shocked me. I think most of the Emergent advocates I’ve been hearing carry the Gospel message just as well if not better than most of their predecessors. My intent here really is to address a few of the issues I’ve been confronted with in my own investigation into this ideology. I want to apologize now to anyone I may offend with this post and assure everyone my intent is in no way for this post to be a negative critique of the Emergent Church followers.

7/14/2005 07:49:00 PM  
Blogger sofyst said...

I have not studied the emergent church, are you not in agreement with it? What is it? Perhaps you can give you understanding in a post. Like a brief synopsis of the Emergent church.

7/15/2005 08:54:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Adam I am of two minds and honestly I intend to stay that way when possible in all matters of faith until the truth is made known. The one mind says the Emergent Church is another hurtle we must get past in seeking to serve the will of God concerning a true ecumenical ecclesiology, that is that we all be of one mind. The other mind perceives this movement, or conversation, as a necessary step toward that endeavor.

The movement is a reaction to an academic perspective of culture. While adherents insist, and I agree, this is a necessary aspect of ecclesiology (after all Paul became all things to all men) those opposed insist the movement is sensual in nature and contradictory to the scripture concerning crucifying the flesh and again I must agree as I have found many who participate solely for the purpose of exciting the senses (but then what makes this different from going to Church to play softball, which I also oppose?). Regardless of these facts it remains that I have found true brethren among these followers and I feel compelled to at least have an understanding of, if not compassion for, their cause. I intend to pursue that goal as a part of my own call to love my brother.

7/15/2005 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Pecheur said...

I think more critiques of the movement are necessary and in order. Thanks for this post. I did not find your post too critical, I found it refreshing.

7/16/2005 08:58:00 PM  
Blogger Laura Whitaker said...

Can a she-minister be welcome in your prayers?

7/19/2005 08:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Laura the very knowledge of your existence placed you high up on my prayer list. I pray for you as well that no one might interfere with anything God intends for you to do. I also ask He grant, not only you but, us all the vision to see His intent in our life. ;-)

7/19/2005 08:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment