Home
« Home | Next: I can’t believe you did that to me! »
| Next: Anger - Blessing or curse? »
| Next: You have no right to feel that way! »
| Next: Time out... »
| Next: A few more things »
| Next: Take time to be holy »
| Next: Life is full of choices...how do you feel about that? »
| Next: Faith and emotions »
| Next: Who's in the family? »
| Next: Just a few more things… »

Thoughts

Topics

Archives


Subscribe

Feed Link

Study Help

Real Help

    Needed Prayers


Links

About

About Kc


Awards

Quotes

    "You are really cool you are married to an European!! How cooler can you be??"
    Fisherman Pecheur

    "Smarty Pants"
    Mad Matt

    "Oh, you did not ask for Bonhoeffer's opinion did you? You wanted mine..."
    the SOFYST

    "You are like the master at this "feelings" stuff!
    Kind Kristi

    "I enjoy your comments, but they are always delightfully enigmatic"
    Dyspraxic Fundamentalist


Thursday, October 27, 2005

Time out


I’ve always loved being in the woods and especially so in the fall and winter. When I was young I would spend several days camping alone. I would find a remote spot near a creek or a lake where I wouldn’t be bothered by anyone or anything and spend the days hiking and fishing. At night I would stare at the sky and wonder what the future would hold.

When my oldest daughter was born I was certain I would miss the woods and for several years I gave up the time I spent there. As my daughter grew older we would go out for picnics and she loved to explore any and every trail we might find. We blazed quite a few of our own. Finally the time came that I thought she was ready so I took her for her first camping trip. She loved every minute of daylight as always but when the evening approached the sounds from the woods began to crawl up her spine and I watched her grow silent, listening, her eyes growing ever wider. She stayed very close from dusk until dawn and sleep was only something we said we should do. No subject was to hard for her that night as long as it kept me awake and together we measured the universe.

Breakfast came before dawn and by the time the sun was full her eyes could hardly stay open. I packed up our things and loaded the car and we made the trip back home in silence. I expected her to sleep but she just sat staring, not looking, just thinking. I could see she was soaking it in. We pulled up to our drive and she collected her self, then looked over at me and smiled. I turned off the car and her little arms reached around my neck. She said “Thank you Daddy. I really like camping but I’d never want to go without you”. I realized it then and I told her so too, “sweetheart I’d never want to go without you either”.

That was many years ago and though we’ve each made a few trips without the other we’ve proved we were honest in what we’d said that day. My little sweetheart is 25 now and I’m not Daddy anymore, just Dad, but there’s a chill in the air and her question today is the same one she’s had since that first night in the woods, “Dad, when are we going camping again” ?

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Kristi B. said...

I've never been much of a camper, but if my dad had spent time with me like that, I'm sure I would've loved it! You have some blessed daughters--I hope they know it!! =)

10/28/2005 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

Most touching! I pray that my daughter will have the same affection for me. Thanks for the encouragement, as usual:)

10/28/2005 09:11:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Kristi thanks for the kind words and I know from your sister that you are a wonderful blessing to your family as well. ;-)

Ron thanks again and I can only say I am quite confident she will. ;-)

10/28/2005 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Oh and Kristi, Corry said to head south and we'll plan a camping trip while you're here. ;-)

10/28/2005 09:17:00 AM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

Sweet!

10/28/2005 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger Zeke said...

I love to camp, but the wife and daughter just aren't into it. I had a guys night out up in the mountains recently and it reminded me why I liked it so much.

10/28/2005 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Zeke both Corry and my eldest are one of the guys here. (grin)

10/28/2005 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Jeff don't blink and don't waste one precious moment. ;-)

10/28/2005 03:08:00 PM  
Blogger Nunzia said...

that is so sweet... i love the way you paint such vivid pictures with your words...

10/28/2005 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Nunzia what we have now is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. You're one of the most gifted writers I've ever read.

I'm really happy for you today. ;-)

10/28/2005 04:53:00 PM  
Blogger Neal said...

Great story. My daughters already love the outside and I can't wait to take them camping. Nice post.

10/28/2005 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

Neal it's great to have you comment here again and we're remembering you all in our prayers. It won't be long before you'll be trying to keep up with and keep pace with them in everything! ;-)

10/29/2005 06:09:00 AM  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

Great reminder of how the thing our children most want from us is our time.

Thanks.

10/29/2005 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Curious Servant thanks. I find the thing we value most we tend to keep from those who hold it in the highest esteem.

Matt I couldn’t be happier for you. I’ll be expecting a full report you know. ;-)

Not1jot you’re comment has blessed me greatly. A heart can only be that full when it’s overflowing with His love. Isn’t it so wonderful to realize that love is the only thing that will abide forever and to know the joy of the love we share in? Thanks so much for sharing it here.

10/29/2005 06:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I count having you as my father as one of my greatest blessings. Thank you for all the camping trips and thank you for being my best friend. I love you so much, Dad.

10/29/2005 09:01:00 PM  
Blogger sofyst said...

Well POO! ^that was me, not Joshua.

KC, would you write ME (Adam) a review. I am not even sure if Joshua has reviews upon his site. Speaking of his site, I changed his background (hence my being under his name), y'all tell me your opinion of it. I haven't shown him yet, hopefully he'll like it.

10/29/2005 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

I’ll make a blogger out of her yet. ;-)

Adam, tell Josh he owes me a visit now (grin). I would be honored to offer a review, even though honestly I feel unworthy, I really am happy to do it.

I’m not even qualified to critique your series but in my honest opinion I think you’re doing an excellent job. Your research is exhaustive and as always your reasoning is flawless. Beyond that I think the doctrinal value is priceless and it’s a scriptural lesson that’s desperately needed today. While I’m at it I’ll just say that I find all your articles and reviews well done and both sites look great!
;-)

Now about camping…

You’ll have to go with us once and then you will know for yourself what’s so good. ;-)

10/30/2005 03:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dad and i had our happy times too though going camping is not really something that we do here often if not at all. but we do have fun memories too. i just wish i can do those again with my dad, the whole family.

10/30/2005 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Pia I hope and pray that your wish will be granted soon according to His will.

10/30/2005 06:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment